Online submission instructions
Preparing Your Manuscript
- Follow the Instructions to Authors regarding the format of your manuscript and references.
- Prepare your manuscript, including tables, using LaTeX. If you would like more information about producing .tex files in journal style, please contact the editorial office. When you come to submit your paper to the journal, only the final PDF file should be submitted.
- Prepare any other files that will be needed by the publisher if your paper is accepted, including any figures and supplementary material. Your figures should be prepared at publication quality resolution, using applications capable of generating high-resolution .tif files (1200 d.p.i. for line drawings and 300 d.p.i. for colour and half-tone artwork). Please note that separate figure files will not be required for your initial submission, but need to be of the required quality if your manuscript is accepted.
Submitting Your Manuscript
Now that your files are ready, visit the online submission website.
- First, you will need to log into the system. Note: Before you begin, you should be sure you are using an up to date version of Netscape or Internet Explorer. If you have an earlier version, you can download a free upgrade using the icons found at the bottom of the 'Instructions and Forms' section of the online submission web site.
- If you know your login details (i.e., you have submitted or reviewed a manuscript in this journal before), use your User ID and Password to log on. (Your user ID will usually be your email address.)
- If you do not know your login details, check to see if you are already registered by clicking on the 'Forgot your password' button and following the on-screen instructions. If you are not already registered, you can register by clicking on the 'Create account' button on the login screen and following the on-screen instructions.
- If you have trouble finding your manuscripts or have other problems with your account, do not create another account. Instead, please contact the Biometrika editorial office.
- To submit a new manuscript, go to the 'Author Centre', and click on “Click here to submit a new manuscript', and then follow the on-screen instructions. You should only submit a complete PDF file of your manuscript, plus any supporting supplementary material (also as a PDF). There are up to 7 steps for you to follow to submit your manuscript. You move from one step to the next by clicking on the 'Next' button on each screen or back to the previous screen by clicking on the 'Previous' button. Please note that if you click on the 'Back' or 'Forward' buttons on your browser, the information you have entered will not be saved. At any stage you can stop the submission process by clicking on the 'Main Menu' button. Everything you have typed into the system will be saved, and the partially completed submission will appear under 'unsubmitted manuscripts' in your 'Author Centre'. To return to the submission process you will need to click on the button 'Continue Submission' against the relevant manuscript title.
- When submitting your manuscript, please enter your manuscript data into the relevant fields, following the detailed instructions at the top of each page. You may like to have the original file available so you can copy and paste the title and abstract into the required fields. You will also be required to provide email addresses for your co-authors, so please have these to hand when you log onto the site.
- When you have uploaded your manuscript files, the system will check that you have completed all the mandatory fields and that you have viewed your manuscript proof. It will also present you with a summary of all the information you have provided and give you a final chance to edit it. If there is a red cross next to any section this will indicate that not all the fields have been filled in correctly. You may either go back to the relevant page or click the nearest ‘edit’ button.
- When you have finished reviewing this information press 'Submit'.
- After the manuscript has been submitted you will see a confirmation screen and receive an email confirmation stating that your manuscript has been successfully submitted. This will also give the assigned manuscript number, which is used in all correspondence during peer review. If you do not receive this, your manuscript will not have been successfully submitted to the journal and the paper cannot progress to peer review. If this is the case your manuscript will still be sitting in the 'Unsubmitted Manuscripts' section of your 'Author Centre' awaiting your attention.
- If you return to your 'Author Centre' you will notice that your newly submitted manuscript can be found in the 'Submitted Manuscripts' area. The ‘Status' section provides information on the status of your manuscript as it moves through the review process.
Submitting a Revised Manuscript
- Log on to the online submission web site as before and, in the 'Author Centre', click on 'Manuscripts with Decisions'. At the bottom of the screen you will see those manuscripts that require a revision (or that have been revised). Create a revision of this manuscript by clicking on 'create a revision' under Actions. You will now be able to see the editor and reviewer comments and will be able to respond to these.
- You will need to upload the PDF file of your revised manuscript. If you wish to finish this another time, you will find the manuscript in your 'Revised manuscripts in draft' list.
- If you click on 'View comments/respond' you will see the editor's letter to you together with the referees' comments. You may cut and paste your responses into the text areas at the bottom of the screen.
IMPORTANT. If your paper goes on to be accepted, your images will be required as high-resolution .tif files (1200 d.p.i. for line drawings and 300 d.p.i. for colour and half-tone artwork) or high-quality printouts on glossy paper. Please note that publication of your manuscript will not proceed until figures suitable for reproduction are received.
If you experience any problems during the online submission process please consult the Author's User Guide which provides more detailed submission instructions and 'movie tutorials' explaining how to submit your paper. Alternatively, please contact the Biometrika editorial office who will be pleased to assist you.
Produced on behalf of
The Biometrika Trust