Information for Authors
The EJIL editors invite submissions of manuscripts focusing on international law issues.
Manuscripts can be accepted for evaluation only when submitted using our Online Submission system.
Please read the following instructions before proceeding to the online submission page.
Instructions regarding manuscripts
- Submissions should be accompanied by an assurance that the article has not been published, submitted, or accepted elsewhere. Articles to be published in a different forum within one year of submission will not be considered.
- Manuscripts should normally range from 6,000 to 12,000 words in length, including footnotes.
- Articles should include a 200-word (maximum) abstract.
- Authors are requested to consult and follow the Journal's style-sheet.
- The Journal encourages authors to refer to research material published not only in English but also in other languages.
- The EJIL is a peer-reviewed journal. All manuscripts received are evaluated by our Editor-in-Chief or one other member of the Editorial Board and by one or two anonymous external referees. Notification of acceptance, rejection or need for revision will generally be given within 10 weeks of receipt of the manuscript, although exceptions to this time frame may occur. Please note that our evaluation process takes account of several criteria. Excellence is a necessary condition for publication, but it is not always a sufficient condition. The need for a balance of topics, the Journal's particular areas of interest which may change over time, the fact that something similar has already been commissioned, etc., may also influence the final decision. Therefore, a rejection does not necessarily reflect upon the quality of a piece.
Instructions regarding submission of manuscripts
- The EJIL submission evaluation process is completely anonymous. Therefore, before you go to our online submission page, make sure that you have three separate files containing:
1. a manuscript with no information to identify the author/s;
2. a title page, which indicates the author’s name, article title and email address;
3. a curriculum vitae for each author.
- Click on the link below, which will take you to our Online Submissions programme.
- First-time users will need to register. Click “Register here” under “New User?”
- Once you are registered, click on Author Centre and follow the instructions for submitting your manuscript.
Go to our ScholarOne Manuscript Submission system now.
Upon receipt of accepted manuscripts at Oxford Journals authors will be invited to complete an online copyright licence to publish form.
Please note that by submitting an article for publication you confirm that you are the corresponding/submitting author and that Oxford University Press ("OUP") may retain your email address for the purpose of communicating with you about the article. You agree to notify OUP immediately if your details change. If your article is accepted for publication OUP will contact you using the email address you have used in the registration process. Please note that OUP does not retain copies of rejected articles.
EJIL authors have the option to publish their paper under the Oxford Open initiative; whereby, for a charge, their paper will be made freely available online immediately upon publication. After your manuscript is accepted the corresponding author will be required to accept a mandatory licence to publish agreement. As part of the licensing process you will be asked to indicate whether or not you wish to pay for open access. If you do not select the open access option, your paper will be published with standard subscription-based access and you will not be charged.
Oxford Open articles are published under Creative Commons licences. Authors publishing in EJIL can use the following Creative Commons licences for their articles:
• Creative Commons Attribution licence (CC-BY)
• Creative Commons Non-Commercial licence (CC-BY-NC)
• Creative Commons non-Commercial No Derivatives licence (CC-BY-NC-ND)
Please click here for more information about the Creative Commons licences.
You can pay Open Access charges using our Author Services site. This will enable you to pay online with a credit/debit card, or request an invoice by email or post. The open access charges applicable are:
Regular charge - £1750/ $2800 / €2275
List B Developing country charge* - £875 / $1400 / €1135
List A Developing country charge* - £0 /$0 / €0
*Visit our Developing Countries page for a list of qualifying countries
Please note that these charges are in addition to any colour/page charges that may apply.
Orders from the UK will be subject to the current UK VAT charge. For orders from the rest of the European Union, OUP will assume that the service is provided for business purposes. Please provide a VAT number for yourself or your institution, and ensure you account for your own local VAT correctly.
The corresponding author receives free online access to their article and can claim 25 free offprints of the article using the Oxford Journals Author Services site. Additional offprints and single issues of the journal can also be ordered using the Oxford Journals Author Services site.
Published on behalf of
Impact Factor 1.011
5-Yr impact factor: 1.155
- Instructions to authors
- Online Submission Instructions
- Submit a manuscript
- Author self-archiving policy