Thematic Collection and Classics: Discoveries
MBE now releases a list of articles designated Citation Classics to celebrate and highlight the diversity and impact of MBE publications in molecular evolutionary research. The Early (1983 – 2007) and Recent (2008 – 2012) Citation Classics are selected based on the highest number of citations per year in each period (see below). Overall, a total of 1% of MBE’s publications is given Citation Classic designations. Of these, publications primarily focused on the discovery of biological patterns and processes are listed below in reverse chronological order.
MBE Recent Citation Classics (2008 – 2012)
- A phylogenomic approach to resolve the arthropod tree of life (2010)
Meusemann and colleagues in Volume 27(11) Pp. 2451-2464.
- Improved phylogenomic taxon sampling noticeably affects nonbilaterian relationships(2010)
Pick and colleagues in Volume 27(9) Pp. 1983-1987.
- Revisiting the insect mitochondrial molecular clock: the mid-Aegean trench calibration (2010)
Papadopoulou and colleagues in Volume 27(7) Pp. 1659-1672.
- Timing of genome duplications relative to the origin of the vertebrates: Did cyclostomes diverge before or after? (2009)
Kuraku and colleagues in Volume 26(1) Pp. 47-59.
- Confirming the phylogeny of mammals by use of large comparative sequence data sets (2008)
Prasad and colleagues in Volume 25(9) Pp. 1795-1808.
- On the expansion of the pentatricopeptide repeat gene family in plants (2008)
O'Toole and colleagues in Volume 25(6) Pp. 1120-1128.
- Strong variations of mitochondrial mutation rate across mammals - the longevity hypothesis (2008)
Nabholz and colleagues in Volume 25(1) Pp. 120-130.
MBE Early Citation Classics (1983 – 2007)
- Paleontological evidence to date the tree of life (2007)
Benton and colleagues in Volume 24(1) Pp. 26-53.
- A single determinant dominates the rate of yeast protein evolution (2006)
Drummond and colleagues in Volume 23(2) Pp. 327-337.
- Multigene analyses of bilaterian animals corroborate the monophyly of Ecdysozoa, Lophotrochozoa, and Protostomia (2005)
Philippe and colleagues in Volume 22(5) Pp. 1246-1253.
- Divergence population genetics of chimpanzees (2005)
Won and Hey in Volume 22(2) Pp. 297-307.
- Microsatellites within genes: Structure, function, and evolution (2004)
Li and colleagues in Volume 21(6) Pp. 991-1007.
- A molecular timeline for the origin of photosynthetic eukaryotes (2004)
Yoon and colleagues in Volume 21(5) Pp. 809-818.
- Fugu genome analysis provides evidence for a whole-genome duplication early during the evolution of ray-finned fishes (2004)
Christoffels and colleagues in Volume 21(6) Pp. 1146-1151.
- The evolution of transcriptional regulation in eukaryotes (2003)
Wray and colleagues in Volume 20(9) Pp. 1377-1419.
- Prokaryotic evolution in light of gene transfer (2002)
Gogarten and colleagues in Volume 19(12) Pp. 2226-2238.
- Nuclear-encoded,plastid-targeted genes suggest a single common origin for Apicomplexan and Dinoflagellate plastids (2001)
Fast and colleagues in Volume 18(3) Pp. 418-426.
- The yeast protein interaction network evolves rapidly and contains few redundant duplicate genes (2001)
Wagner in Volume 18(7) Pp. 1283-1292.
- Comparative evolutionary analysis of chalcone synthase and alcohol dehydrogenase loci in Arabidopsis, Arabis, and related genera (Brassicaceae) (2000)
Koch and colleagues in Volume 17(10) Pp. 1483-1498.
- A comparative summary of genetic distances in the vertebrates from the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene (1998)
Johns and Avise in Volume 15(11) Pp. 1481-1490.
- Numerous transposed sequences of mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I-II in aphids of the genus Sitobion (Hemiptera: Aphididae) (1996)
Sunnucks and Hales in Volume 13(3) Pp. 510-524.
- Population-growth makes waves in the distribution of pairwise genetic-differences (1992)
Rogers and Harpending in Volume 9(3) Pp. 552-569.
- Relationships between gene trees and species trees (1988)
Pamilo and Nei in Volume 5(5) Pp. 568-583.
- Slipped-strand mispairing - a major mechanism for DNA-sequence evolution (1987)
Levinson and Gutman in Volume 4(3) Pp. 203-221.
- Codon usage and transfer-RNA content in unicellular and multicellular organisms (1985)
Ikemura in Volume 2(1) Pp. 13-34.
Selection Procedure. For the Early category, life-time citation impacts of publications from 1983 – 2007 were obtained from Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge on October 15, 2012. From the resulting set (>3,500), 18 publications reporting biological discoveries and 18 publications reporting methods and resources were designated Early Citation Classics. For the Recent category, seven discovery and seven methods and resources publications were selected based on the highest number of citations per year for publications between 2008 and 2012 (>1,300).
Updated on 19th October 2012
- Submit Online Now
- Editorial Process
- Manuscript Types
- General Author Guidelines
- Supplementary Information
- Conflict of Interest
- Open Access
- Page Charges
- Public Preprint Policy
Sign up for Alerts
Impact factor: 10.353
5-Yr impact factor: 11.221
Published on behalf of
Open access options for authors - visit Oxford Open