MBE Author Self-Archiving Policy
Public Preprint Policy
MBE now considers all preprints available on public servers (e.g., arXiv) to be unpublished. Therefore, authors submitting manuscripts to MBE may make their manuscripts available on public preprint servers, if they agree to follow the following policy.
- Authors must declare their intent to, or the presence of, the initial or the revised manuscript on public preprint servers at the time of submission to MBE.
- The deposition of a manuscript on public preprint servers makes its content available free of charge to everyone, so all accepted manuscripts will be published as Open Access articles in MBE and the authors will be required to pay open-access charges.
- All manuscripts under consideration at MBE whilst posted on a preprint server must contain the journal name (Molecular Biology and Evolution) on the top-right corner of the first page in bold letters along with the current status of the manuscript (“In review”, “Revision Invited”, or “Accepted”).
- Authors must update their manuscripts on pre-print servers diligently so the current version matches the version under consideration at MBE. If the manuscript is accepted and published in MBE, authors must update the preprint listing with the full citation line in MBE, and a link to the final published version.
Note.- As a consequence of the MBE policy to consider all publically available preprints as unpublished works, MBE manuscripts can only cite results and data from preprints as unpublished works. Please use the following format when referring to preprints -> (Unpublished data from Last name, initial, Last name, initial, Last name, initial, ..., and Last name, initial, which was downloaded from full URL link). This means that authors should not include unpublished works in the Bibliography.
A postprint is defined here as the final draft author manuscript, as accepted for publication by MBE, including modifications based on referees’ suggestions, before it has undergone copyediting and proof correction.
Authors may upload their accepted postprint manuscript PDF to an institutional and/or centrally organized repository, provided that public availability is delayed until 12 months after first online publication in the journal.
When uploading an accepted manuscript to a repository, authors should include a credit line (see below) and a link to the final published version of the article. This will guarantee that the definitive version is readily available to those accessing your article from public repositories, and means that your article is more likely to be cited correctly.
This is a pre-copyedited, author-produced PDF of an article accepted for publication in MBE following peer review. The definitive publisher-authenticated version [insert complete citation information here] is available online at [insert URL of published article here].
A PDF of the final published version of the article as it appears in the journal following copyediting and proof correction may not be deposited by authors in institutional repositories unless the article is published under MBE’s open access model.
Open Access Articles
Authors of open access articles are entitled to deposit the postprint version or the final published version of their article in institutional and/or centrally organized repositories and can make this publicly available immediately upon publication, provided that MBE and OUP are attributed as the original place of publication and that correct citation details are given. Authors should also deposit the URL of their published article, in addition to the PDF version.
The journal strongly encourages authors of open access articles to deposit the final published version of the article instead of the postprint version. This will guarantee that the definitive version is readily available to those accessing your article from such repositories, and means that your article is more likely to be cited correctly.
- Submit Online Now
- Editorial Process
- Manuscript Types
- General Author Guidelines
- Supplementary Information
- Conflict of Interest
- Open Access
- Page Charges
- Public Preprint Policy
Sign up for Alerts
Impact factor: 14.308
5-Yr impact factor: 10.494
Published on behalf of
Open access options for authors - visit Oxford Open