To promote the preservation and fuller use of data, Journal of Plankton Research actively encourages data‐archiving in appropriate public data libraries such as PANGAEA® (http://www.pangaea.de), which is certified by the International Council for Science (ICSU) World Data System (WDS). PANGAEA ensures:
- Long term preservation of data;
- Quality assurance on metadata, such as citation, references, geo-location, and standard parameter vocabularies;
- Reliable identification and access with a DOI for each data supplement;
- Pre-publication, password protected access to data supplements for journal editors in support to the peer-review process;
- Minimum formatting requirements from the authors;
- Direct communication with authors regarding changes to data supplements, e.g. unit conversions, taxonomy updates;
- Open access to data supplements in several widely accepted machine-readable formats;
- Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/) which requires that author(s) are referenced if the data are reused.
Please submit data to the chief editor of PANGAEA at http://www.pangaea.de/submit/. Data can be submitted in any format, but authors are invited to read general guidelines at http://wiki.pangaea.de/wiki/Data_submission.
For gene sequence data and phylogenetic trees, deposition in GenBank or TreeBASE, respectively, is appropriate. There are many archives in addtion to PANGAEA that may suit a particular data set, including the Dryad repository for ecological and evolutionary biology data (http://datadryad.org). Accession numbers for GenBank, TreeBASE, and Dryad should be included in accepted manuscripts.
For primary biodiversity data authors are encouraged to place all species distribution records in a publicly accessible database such as the national Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) nodes (www.gbif.org) or data centres endorsed by GBIF, including BioFresh (www.freshwaterbiodiversity.eu) for freshwater data.
Additionally, for papers published in JPR, supplementary material (including data) can be submitted as online Supplementary Material.
- About this journal
- Publishers' Books for Review
- Rights & Permissions
- Dispatch date of the next issue
- This journal is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE)
- We are mobile – find out more
Impact factor: 2.435
5-Yr impact factor: 2.423
- Instructions to authors
- Online Submission Instructions
- Submit online now!
- Self Archiving Public Access Policy
Open access options for authors - visit Oxford Open